Monday, 6 June 2016

Siem Reap 2015 Part II

[PART I of my adventures in Siem Reap is HERE.]

Once again, looking through my bi-gillion pictures I took in Siem Reap brings back so many memories, I don't even know where to begin. Plus sorting through and organizing pictures is not my favorite activity. So here goes my best effort:

Angkor Wat
Of course when you visit Siem Reap, you MUST go to the ruins of the ancient city Angkor. This trip our tour guide took us to even more sites and explained the intricate carvings in greater detail. (Seriously, let me know if you want me to recommend my guide to you. He is fabulous!) It was SUPER HOT but worth every minute spent there. I have tons of pictures of every temple we went to, and and here are just a few highlights:
No filters, just pure beauty. It is that amazing. The middle two pictures were taken at sunrise. 

I'm blown away by the architecture and scenery every time I visit. And yup, those are bullocks grazing next to the temple ruins. Of course this city girl had to take a picture of them. 


Tonle Sap River
The Tonle Sap River connects to the Tonle Sap Lake, a freshwater lake that is seasonally-flooded. The borders of the lake shrinks and expands according to the dry/ wet seasons, and is also dependent on the water and minerals that flow down from its more famous sister, the Mekong River. We traveled along just a tiny part of the river to the lake, and although it was the dry season, the lake was already so big, it felt like we were at sea.
It was also humbling to see the famous floating villages along the river. I am amazed at how adaptable and resilient people are, even in horrendous circumstances, and feel ashamed that I take so much of my life for granted.

Landmine Museum
The only word to describe the experience of visiting this outdoor museum is "sobering." I just can't understand how the leaders of the Khmer Rouge could descend to such horrifying levels of cruelty. The museum isn't fancy but worth a visit. And the Killing Fields is definitely on my travel wishlist.

Phnom Kulen 
The highlight of our trip has got to be our trip up Kulen Mountain, where we hiked through a small village, visited the largest reclining Buddha statue in Cambodia, waded across one small waterfall, and swam under another.
IT
WAS
AWESOME!!!
Our guide pointed out along the way that sections of the Stung Kbal Spean River (try pronouncing that) have linga carvings on the bedrock, representing fertility and flowing abundance. If you ever wondered what extravagant ideas ancient kings had, imagine asking your servants to divert a river, carve over a 1000 different etchings on the stone bed, before flooding it again. *jaw drop*
[Top 3: Sample of the linga carvings that go for miles; the hibiscus was so pretty, I had to take it; my sister and dad at the smaller waterfall.
Bottom 3: Illegal poachers selling their wares; I can't recall the name of this unique flower spotted at the Buddhist temple; the view from Phnom Kulen.]

More random pictures from the trip. Isn't Siem Reap just beautiful?! From its ancient ruins to its rice padi fields to the sights, sounds and smells in the more urban areas... I LOVE this place. 

Saying goodbye is always hard, especially when you had a good time. But don't worry, Cambodia, I will be back! Also, check out the airport. Don't see this sight much anymore! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my posts- really appreciate it! I apologize in advance if blogger deletes your comments- I have no idea why it does so but please post your comment again. Thanks!