So guess what?!
I'm DONE with my semester! Unlike last year where I had to write a paper over the break. It was a terrible first year. This year I managed to get all my papers and grading done last Saturday afternoon, which meant I'm officially on break till Boxing Day (Dec 26), and able to take 3 hour long naps.
*\(^o^)/* *\(^o^)/* *\(^o^)/*
Anyway, I know most of my colleagues hate grading because it's time consuming. I agree. But I think I rather grade 50 papers than write one paper. Yes, that's me. I'm crazy. But hey, remember I'm not in my program for the research but for the teaching part of it.
Plus sometimes, on the rare occasion, you come across an answer that makes you laugh and cry at the same time, and turns on my sarcasm like no other. (Please note that these were take-home exams, so it wasn't like they didn't have time to review their answers before submitting them in.)
Like:
"After the invasion of the Mongols, the Chinese
grew an affinity for all things Chinese."- really? As opposed to an affinity for all things American before that of course. Nothing like a foreign invasion to make you finally appreciate your own culture, even if you developed it.
Or:
[Referring to the invention of the Korean alphabet, Hangul] "Literary action boomed in the 17th and 18th centuries, with poets writing short poems (sijo), long poems (saseol sijo), and even longer poems (gasa)."
First, "literary action boomed." Hmm...
Second, "short poems, long poems, and even longer poems." *head palm* Shakespeare would have been so proud.
To give that student credit, it sounds like there are significant differences in the three types of poetry in Hangul...maybe. S/he just didn't phrase it well.
But overall my students didn't too badly. I mean, at least they didn't write something completely inaccurate like what one of my colleague's student wrote:
It was not good to be a Christian during the time of the Crusades. (*sound of head banging against the wall*)
These poor college students. I think it's because they are in college that we have high expectations of them. If they were kids, then their answers would be viewed in a whole different light. Like the kids in THIS WEBSITE. Can't stop laughing!
Anyway, I'm off to sleep. HOORAY!!!
(Link in case you can't click it http://www.viralnova.com/kid-notes/)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting on my posts- really appreciate it! I apologize in advance if blogger deletes your comments- I have no idea why it does so but please post your comment again. Thanks!